Competitive Intelligence Manager
As the #1 eCommerce platform for the Alexa top one million sites, Magento empowers our clients to focus on engaging their customers and growing their business. Our clients choose Magento so they can build their business with the eCommerce platform that puts them in control. We offer flexible, scalable eCommerce solutions designed to help our clients grow and succeed online. Our cost-effective technology platform makes it possible for our clients to control the content, functionality, and look and feel of their online store.
The Competitive Intelligence Manager for Magento will be responsible for gathering, analyzing and disseminating competitive intelligence and insights for Magento’s global sales, marketing and channel organizations. The role will provide insights into partner news, product capabilities and win/loss analysis.
This leader should have a track record of managing competitive intelligence strategies with leading companies in the industry, a trusted professional network, a solid background around key vendors in the eCommerce technology space, and a demonstrated ability to develop and lead with innovative ideas. This is a key role in helping drive the evolution and growth of Magento in markets around the globe
Key Responsibilities Include:
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONSIn order to successfully respond to the challenges of the role, the ideal candidate for the position should exhibit the following characteristics and meet the following criteria:
- Monitor and analyze product, positioning, partnerships and announcements of key competitors and communicate to company leadership and stake holders.
- Develop and maintain competitive intelligence including battle cards / info sheets / deep-dive company profiles and SWOTs for all major competitors
- Collaborate with product management to develop and maintain detailed product benchmarking / comparison cards for major competitors
- Undertake frequent interviews with Magento solution partners to gather competitive intel, trends and insights
- Manage competitive insights presentations for Executive Leadership Team (“ELT”) and with core teams to articulate how any why Magento is winning and/or losing in the market
- Own Magento’s Win / Loss analysis program
- Provide support and evolution of automated Win / Loss surveys
- Perform regular Win / Loss calls with key opportunities
- Report Win / Loss trends during monthly internal marketing and sales review meetings
- Engage with sales operations to ensure accurate reporting of Win / Loss in SF.com
- Provide regular field sales and channel partner competitive updates during regular webinars
- Provide updates and insight to global marketing team and help formulate messaging for competitive marketing programs.
- Develop high-level competitive trend presentations for internal sales and partner kickoff events
- Develop competitive insights forum / knowledge base to allow solution and
- Provide strategic thinking and direction directly to the sales organization where detailed competitive analysis is required to support late stage sales opportunities
- technology partner to share facts, stories, selling points and insights in competitive situations
- Engage regularly with industry analysts (Forrester & Gartner) to gain outside perspectives on competitor strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT)
- Attend industry and competitor conferences to gather key information on new product releases, announcements etc. Develop process and mechanisms to deliver qualitative and quantitative competitive intelligence information (e.g. alerts, snapshots and dashboards)
- Lead financial analysis of publically traded competitors including summarized executive reporting after quarterly earnings calls
- Profile relevant competitive IPOs / M&A transactions and evaluate strategic implications to Magento
- Monitoring competitor social media feeds, press releases, community forums, etc. for insights and key announcements
- Track record of success in leading competitive intelligence program at a leading technology vendor
- 5+ years of leadership experience in a large, fast-paced global organization.
- Prior ecommerce, software and/or SaaS industry experience is highly desired.
- Ideally should have completed an MBA and/or an advanced degree
- Solid understanding of the business drivers and possess strong, global business acumen
- Understanding of online commerce technologies and existing knowledge of Magento’s key competitors
- Strong communicator who is comfortable presenting in front of any audience
- Highly collaborative and comfortable working under tight deadline pressure
- Strong demonstration in taking market, competitor and customer insights and weaving them into clear, compelling deliverables
- You are passionate and self-motivated to achieve extraordinary results