THE COMPANY Trusted by more than 240,000 businesses worldwide, Magento Commerce is the leading provider of open omnichannel innovation to retailers, brands and branded manufacturers across retail B2C and B2B industries. In addition to its flagship open source eCommerce platform, Magento Commerce boasts a strong portfolio of cloud-based omnichannel solutions empowering merchants to successfully integrate digital and physical shopping experiences. With over $50B in gross merchandise volume transacted on the platform, Magento Commerce is the dominant provider to the Internet Retailer Top 1000, counting more than double the clients to the next closest competitor, and to the Internet Retailer Hot 100. Magento Commerce is supported by a vast global network of solution and technology partners, a highly active global developer community and the largest eCommerce marketplace for extensions available for download on the Magento Marketplace.
Job DescriptionMagento is looking for an experienced Architect to join our expanding team in Austin. Specifically, we are looking for someone who comes from a similar role with a technical edge who wants to drive a leading open source platform into the future.
We have multiple products (Marketplace, MBI, Magento Social, Magento Cloud) and this role will work as a part of the Magento Digital Commerce engineering team, an open source PHP ecommerce platform used by more than 250,000 sites worldwide. We want someone passionate about architecture and open source, yet grounded in the real world.
Daily Activities: (Including but not limited to)
- Create and evolve Technical Vision (the desired state) for product and its components
- Own and share the vision
- Do internal presentations
- Maximize the quality of code produced by team
- Review team code
- Discuss/Review team decisions
- Do pair programming with developers
- Alignment of technical decisions
- Be aware of commonly approved technical vision of product
- Approve architecture decisions
- Team mentoring
- Let the team write all designs and do initial decisions
- Inspire team members to share ideas with other architects/teams
- Inter-team/architect communication
- Participate in weekly architecture meetings
- Proactively initiate communication to discuss team designs
- Share team ideas/decisions/designs
- External communication
- Be in touch with community. Gather feedback. Educate.
WORKING FOR MAGENTO Working at Magento means becoming part of one of the fastest growing commerce solutions companies on the planet. More than 240,000 merchants rely on us to fuel their growth. A career at Magento puts you on the cutting-edge of the commerce industry and offers many opportunities for advancement. And, as a part of our family of products and services, you’ll also gain valuable exposure to a wealth of commerce knowledge, experience, a global customer and employee base, and world-class resources.We’re always looking for talented people who want to help shape the future of commerce, and who believe in the power of collaboration.
- Previous experience as architect or lead developer
- Application development methodologies and best practices
- Application design principles, object-oriented and functional decomposition, design and architecture patterns and best practices, code quality metrics
- Server-side technologies (PHP 7+ and PHP frameworks is preferred),
- Browser application technologies: JS and its ecosystem, HTML 5, WebComponents, PWAs
- Database design principles. Knowledge of MySQL is beneficial
- Network and Web application security concepts, principles, and best practices
- Communication protocols (web APIs, message queues)
- Web application infrastructure: web servers, caches, CDNs, load balancers, filesystems, hosting providers